Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My Asian-style Green Beans with a New Twist

Last summer I posted my Asian-inspired green bean recipe...YUMM.
Well the bean crop is coming in bushels this year in NJ and I've started experimenting with some of the more abundant ingredients around the fridge.

We've been making a number of stir-fry dishes lately and the early garlic is at a premium, so for this version I used primarily onion and ginger. I also scaled the recipe up a bit because we were left looking for more the last time I made Asian beans...

Renee's Chinese Style Green Beans II
Over a medium flame:
Heat 2-3 Tbsp of good olive oil in a saute pan
Add 1 Tbsp of good quality Shoyu/Tamari/soy sauce
Slice a large onion and toss that in (not a dice, but long thin slices)
Add a little green garlic/garlic curl/ or early garlic (about 1 tbsp worth)
Peel and mince about a thumbs-worth of ginger root (don't skimp, use the real thing)
When the onion is starting to caramelize and has some golden tinges
Add 3 cups trimmed green beans
Toss them into the oil/onion/ginger mixture and stir to coat evenly with the oil
Cover and let cook for 10-12 minutes (basically almost to desired doneness...)
Add a dash of 5 spice powder and black pepper
Stir to coat
Cover again and let cook for 2 more minutes
Turn off the heat and add 1tsp of dark sesame oil
Stir and serve.

My little guy balked at the beans this time - but that's more his personality than anything else. He's currently going through a "if it's not raw I don't want it" phase with veggies...which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
My husband ate a decent sized first serving and went back for seconds making the comment that he thought these were the best version yet, and my older son had 3 portions.
I love it when my family eats green!

No comments: