Friday, August 07, 2009

Sage!

Verity over at The Light Garden reminded me of one of my favorite summer sauces for pasta today....Sage Butter Sauce.
It is so easy, simply melt butter till bubbly and add sage leaves (I usually chiffonade mine).
Let the butter brown a bit (but DON'T burn it); the sage leaves will crisp up a bit and let off a sublime aroma. Pour that over the pasta and add a healthy amount of freshly grated parmesan cheese. YUMM!

She also asked about other ways to use the sage from her herb garden - which is abundant now.

Usually when sage is abundant I pick it and dry it.
It dries easily in just a few days on some paper towels on the counter or strung up.
Once it's dry (crispy to touch) I put it in an empty glass jar or zip-top bag for use in autum/winter cooking, because I think its flavor goes best with roasts and such.

I use a lot of sage when I make bread 'stuffing' or 'dressing' to go with roasted meats and also just on the meats themselves.
In cooler months when roasting chicken, lamb or porkloin for instance, I rub the meat with olive oil, mince up a bunch of rosemary & sage and sprinkle liberally with that, slivers of garlic and salt & pepper.

In the summer I do more grilling and make a simple marinade from olive oil, vinegar and lemon juice. I add to that whatever herbs are abundant at the moment. If I'm in the mood sage can work well there too.

No comments: