Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Salad Days - Honey Mustard Dressing

Ok - this is probably not very exciting to you as you've probably made your own honey mustard before, but it is incredibly exciting to me because my finicky eater, Evan, was the first to finish his sliced steak dinner salad last night and all because he loved the dressing I whipped up because we were out of bottled.

Our salads were made up of veggies we get from our CSA - Genesis Farm - Mixed lettuces, cucumber, carrot, radish and a little organic celery from the grocery store. We topped the veggies with a bit of shredded cheese a few sunflower seeds and some leftover local grass-fed sliced steak.

I made a dressing from ingredients I had handy....
(All measurements are approximate)

1/8 cup honey
1/8 cup ShopRite Honey Mustard
1-2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar (infused with garlic)
2-3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp San-J Shoyu - (High Quality Soy Sauce)
1/2 tsp ground corriander
1/2 tsp ground yellow mustard seed


The above was made possible through taste-testing. I was set to be "done" after the first 4 ingredients, but the taste was a bit too sharp of the garlic vinegar (which was a fabulous gift from my friend Kim last Yule).
Since the taste was a bit "off" I looked for things to change the flavor slightly and the Soy and herbs did just the trick.  At least Evan thought so...he plowed through his dinner even though it might easily have been considered "not my favorite" upon first glance (his favorites are usually ravioli or breaded fish). It is certainly in the favorites list now!


No comments: