Sunday, November 22, 2015

Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup - Great Fall Warm-up!


Apparently, I made this soup on this day last year - as reminded by the book of face....
When I saw the picture and re-read the description, I decided I should preserve it for posterity.

Soak 2 C of dry black beans overnight and then pre-cook them with a bay leaf or two - until tender - about 1 hour.

I cooked the peeled and seeded pumpkin meat in some home made chicken stock - but could have used veggie stock just as easily. When it was tender I pureed it all together...



In a skillet I browned some sausage meat, added onions, garlic and a couple small turnips with their greens.
I let that cook for a while then added a green pepper and added the whole shebang to the pumpkin pot.

The sausage could easily be omitted and the veggies cooked in olive oil.

Stirred in the black beans (without the cooking water), added a
 couple of chopped tomatoes added spices and let it cook for a while. The spices I used that time were thyme, sage, coriander, cumin, cayenne, white pepper.

At the very end I added a little soy sauce for depth of flavorand some good red wine vinegar to cut the sweetness. 

As this was a chili-like soup, we added a little shredded cheese for an acccent!


It was pretty delicious!

No comments: