Friday, October 02, 2009

Hot Pepper Gratin and Chiles Al'Olio

So...I have this thing for peppers. All sorts of peppers...chiles really - especially the awesome variety of chile peppers that the CSG I belong to offers.

I used to simply dry them to make my own pepper flakes...then I started putting some in gespacho and home made salsa....but now that I have 2 young boys who aren't as into "spicy" as their daddy an I, it's a challenge to find ways to use them.

Something my husband and I have enjoyed for a number of years is a casserole made with some of the larger, milder varieties.
But there's always the issue of what to do with the hotter small ones...this year I found an answer! Chiles Al'olio uses some of the smaller peppers to make a sauce that goes nicely over pasta, ravioli or grilled fish, pork or poultry.

Hot Pepper Gratin
Large Chiles - (hungarian, banana, poblano, anaheim etc) about 2 per person - or as many as you feel like making
Cheese - your favorite - I've used cheddar, monterey jack and goat cheese
corn meal or bread crumbs
fresh or canned tomato
salt
pepper
oregano
garlic powder

slice chiles length-wise, seed and core
stuff the chiles with cheese and sprinkle some corn meal or bread crumbs into each
Place them in a corning or other casserole baking dish
If using fresh tomatoes slice and place slices over the chiles
if using canned tomatoes, chop and place tomatoes over the chiles
Sprinkle a little more corn meal or crumbs over the top
Sprinkle additional seasonings
Cover and bake until the chiles are soft and cheese is bubbly.

Chiles Al'Olio
Several long thin chiles such as cayenne or serrano - any with medium heat
Bunch of parsley
Several large cloves of garlic
1/3-1/2 C olive oil

Slice the stems off of the chiles and discard.
Continue slicing the chiles cross wise in 1/4 inch rounds
Remove stems and chiffonade parsley
Mince garlic

Heat olive oil in a small sauce pan
add the rest of the ingredients and cook until the peppers are soft.

Serve over your favorite grilled meat or pasta

No comments: